How to prevent my cat from eating the plants?
Cats are strictly carnivorous animals, however, it is common to observe them eating plants from home or in gardens, but why do they do it? It’s usually because they try to regurgitate and eliminate hairballs accumulated in the stomach, however, they may also eat grass to purge, or simply for pure pleasure.
Before starting to treat this problem, make sure that none of the plants you have in your home is not part of the toxic plants for cats since any of them could cause digestive disorders, allergy or kidney failure.
Whatever the motive that drives your cat to break plants, it is important to know and know how to avoid breaking them, especially if you dedicate time to the care and growth of them. Next, in this article we will explain why your cat breaks plants and how to avoid it, Take note of our advice:
Offer grass for cats
It is important to understand that if cats eat grass it is because, perhaps, they need to do so. They, naturally, know that it is a way to purge their digestive system. For that reason, before preventing our cat from eating any of the plants, we will ideally offer it to ourselves a plant that can eat and break to your liking.
Unlike the catnip, there are plants on the market that are sold precisely for this purpose, it is grass trays They are not toxic at all and they help our feline to purge naturally. We can buy trays already germinated or we can make a prepared pot that includes the seeds and the substrate that the manufacturer has chosen. We can also make grass for cats at home, we explain how to do it:
What do I need to make cat grass at home?
- Ecological substrate
- Oats, wheat or birdseed seeds
- Add in a container the ecological substrate purchased. It must be totally natural, without chemicals of any kind, remember that your cat is going to eat it.
- Use quality seeds to plant them, try to add a lot of them to achieve a tight tray.
- Water and cover the pot with a film because the heat will help the growth.
- Wait between 3 and 10 days to see the first buds come out.
Avoid access to decorative plants
Although at first it may seem a good idea to place the plants in a high place, the truth is that the cat is not going to have any problem to reach them, remember that they have a great ability to jump. In this case, it would be best to plant a vertical garden high enough and without furniture nearby so that our cat can not climb. You can also place some type of obstacle near the plants so that it is impossible to access them.
Spend more time with your cat
Even if you spend time with your cat, maybe it’s not enough for him. Many cats can acquire bad behavior in search of attention of their owners, so dedicating an hour more games a day can be very interesting, especially if you see symptoms that your cat is bored.
The most recommendable one is without a doubt the fishing rod, but you can use all kinds of toys and resources that you have at your disposal, as long as participate in the game.
Remember that cats are social animals, if you can not spend time with your cat maybe you should consider adopting a second cat to keep him company. Do not forget that in this case it will be essential that they have a similar age as well as level of activity.
Tricks to scare your cat from plants
If offering your cat grass has not served you and you do not have time or space to make a vertical garden, you can always use natural and non-harmful tricks to scare away a cat. Although it is always advisable to try the previous proposals, these remedies will not harm you and can make you stop breaking your plants:
- Search the market for a repellent and apply it directly on the floors of your home.
- Spray the plants with lemon or orange water as it usually repel cats effectively. You can prepare the mixture yourself, leaving the husks of these citrus fruits in a bottle of water.
- Sprinkle the leaves of the plants with water and sprinkle a little pepper, the result will be so unpleasant for your cat that probably will not approach them again.
- Add a third plant of lavender or thyme and leave it near your other plants, also acts as a repellent.
What if my cat digs in the soil of the pots?
In this case you can try all the remedies from the previous point and use them also on earth. Add directly citrus peel or the solutions we have mentioned to achieve a powerful repeller.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to prevent my cat from eating the plants?, we recommend that you enter in our behavior problems section.