How to make toys for cats with cardboard?
Did you know that in the wild cats spend 40% of their time hunting? It is for this reason that it is so important to dedicate our hairy companion hours of play and fun, since it is the only way they have to express their natural behavior. Thus, toys allow us to keep the animal entertained and occupied for hours, reducing the chances of suffering stress or anxiety, as well as avoiding the dreaded overweight.
Today, there is a variety of cat toys available on the market, however, why not recycle materials that we no longer use to make them ourselves? In addition to promoting the environment, we will save a good sum of money. Keep reading and discover in how to make cat toys with cardboard, we share 6 homemade toys for cats very easy to make.
Toys for cats with cardboard boxes
For no one is a secret that cats love cardboard boxes. So much so, that the simplest and cheapest homemade toy we can offer you is an empty box. However, it is not the only one and, therefore, below we show simple homemade toys for cats with cardboard boxes.
To make this toy, you will only need to gather the following materials:
- Cardboard boxes
- Tail or adhesive tape
The ideal is to use boxes of the same size to create a simple and fun cardboard maze for cats. Once obtained, follow the following steps:
- Cut the top of all the boxes.
- Join the boxes by gluing the walls with glue or tape. The shape of the labyrinth subtracts your choice, so let your imagination fly and let your cat jump from box to box.
As you know, cats love to hide. Although a tunnel made with cardboard boxes has the disadvantage of being rigid compared to the fabric tunnels that we can buy, it has a great advantage, and it does not cost any money. To make this toy you should only make with these materials:
- Three or four medium boxes
Now, follow the instructions to build the home tunnel:
- All the boxes must have an opening of entrance and another of exit, so that procuralas cutting the sides that sobren.
- Join the boxes to form the tunnel with adhesive tape.
- If the tunnel is very long, cut one or two circular holes in randomly chosen areas. You can make one on the top of a box and one on the side of another, for example, the goal is to offer the cat different stimuli that lead him to want to explore all parts of the toy.
This toy for cats with cardboard boxes is extremely interesting because promotes your natural instinct as a hunter. To do so, you will need:
- Two shoe boxes
- Rolls of toilet paper
- Ping-pong or rubber ball
Once you have obtained the materials, follow these simple steps:
- Take one of the boxes and cut several strips to form several obstacles inside the cave.
- Insert the strips inside the second box creating a labyrinth.
- In the labyrinth, you can also place rolls of toilet paper.
- Take the lid of the box and cut holes making them coincide with the holes in the labyrinth so that the cat can easily catch its “prey”.
- Close the box and drop the ball so that the feline looks for it and catches it.
To see the step by step of this latest toy, which is the most elaborate of all, see our YouTube video in which we show how to make this toy for cats with cardboard.
Toys for cats with rolls of toilet paper
Do you always throw away the cardboard rolls of toilet paper? Well, stop doing it! With these simple cat toys with rolls of paper you can give them a second chance and save some money at the same time.
In general, cats they prefer smaller toys But do you know why? Very simple, because they resemble the size of their prey. The felines that do not usually get out of the house very much do not have the possibility to hunt and, therefore, we must be the ones who cover this need through the game. To make this toy, get:
Now, follow these instructions:
- Cut five rings from the cardboard roll.
- Take one ring and insert it into another.
- Take a third ring and introduce the other two inside, and repeat this process until you finish all the rings and get a ball.
- Do you want to give more emotion to the toy? Place candies inside.
This toy is very simple and will allow us to obtain a home kong very, very basic but effective. To achieve this, only one roll of cardboard will be necessary, nothing more! Once achieved, take one of the ends and close by pressing with your finger in one side and then the other, placing it above. Then, introduce several treats inside, or even homemade cookies for cats, and close the other end in the same way. Offer the toy to your feline and observe how he has fun while trying to figure out how to get his reward.
If you have managed to accumulate a good number of cardboard rolls, this toy is perfect! Gather:
- Several cardboard rolls
- Sheet of paper or cardboard (optional)
Now, follow these steps:
- Prepare the base of the pyramid with four rolls, sticking them together with the tail.
- On the base, stick three rolls and, on top of them, two others.
- Finally, place the last roll to form the tip of the pyramid and let the tail dry.
- Once dry, introduce several candies in the rolls and let your cat have fun trying to get them out.
Other homemade toys for cats with recycled material
The above toys are just some of the many cat toys with recycled material that we can make at home. As you have seen, with a simple cardboard box, or a simple cardboard tube obtained from the roll of toilet paper, we have the option of preparing a large number of toys that will keep our cat entertained for a long time. However, as we say, they are not the only ones, so we recommend you check the following video with three cat toys with other recycled materials, or check our YouTube channel, with many more crafts.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make toys for cats with cardboard?, we recommend you to enter our section of Games and Fun.