Why does my cat urinate everywhere?
It is not a secret that cats are extremely neat animals, not only with themselves but also with regard to the places where they spend their time, such as their beds, sandboxes, feeders and other areas of the house. Taking this into account, we know that when a cat decides to urinate in places where it usually does not, it is because something is wrong with him, so this behavior should not be interpreted as a simple caprice of the cat.
If ever you wondered why your cat urinates everywhere, then this is the article you are looking for. To know what to do, first it is necessary to know the reasons for this behavior and to attack the problem from its origins.
If your cat has always used its waste box correctly and suddenly begins to urinate throughout the house, you must understand that this indicates that something is not right in it, either at a health or emotional level.
If the cat can go outside, it is completely natural for him to urinate in different places around the house, because in this way he marks his territory. In this case, it is not a problem and it is a normal behavior.
You should pay attention when you observe that your cat urinates inside the house, being the most habitual to use his sandbox. If you notice that, from one day to the next, you start to use corners, furniture, beds and basically any place you can think of to relieve yourself, something has happened to your cat that deserves your interest.
In the face of such behavior, you must be patient to detect what it is that unleashes this response in the cat, since the reasons may be related to a disease, or situations that are causing stress in your cat.
Diagnosing the causes is usually not easy, but with a little patience and a lot of love you will find the origin of the problem. Avoid scolding the cat or scolding After having made some disaster, this will only increase your anxiety levels.
Some diseases can cause your cat to begin to relieve itself in other places in the house, such as Cystitis, kidney stones and diarrhea. Why does your cat urinate urine everywhere in these cases? In the first two, the condition causes pain at the time of urination, so it is normal that your cat can not urinate completely at the time you want, and end up doing it in other places because of the urgency that this produces. In addition, anyone who has had a cat with cystitis knows how anxious they can be, leaving small urine pits everywhere as if they wanted to alert their fellow humans to the discomfort they are feeling.
The cat urinating everywhere is also common when the discomfort is not of urinary origin. If your cat is suffering from something else, such as pain in some part of the body, he may decide to urinate outside his sandbox. Why? It is simply your way of draining the discomfort you are feeling. Therefore, in the face of this behavior, the first thing to do is to go to the vet, who will perform the necessary tests that will rule out that it is a health problem.
In case you did not know, stress It is one of the main causes that cause a cat to modify its behavior, and urinating everywhere is one of its ways of expressing it.
What can cause stress to your cat?
No matter how spoiled you look and the amount of care you give him, giving him a life that in your opinion is quite carefree for the cat, the fact is that the changes at home affect him deeply, causing anger, anxiety, fear and Sadness, among other emotions.
What situations cause these emotional disorders?
The reasons are very varied, from the arrival of a new member to the family (either a baby or another pet), which can make the cat believe that he is being displaced from his rightful place, as well as a move, a relationship tense with the masters for previous reprimands, move the home furniture from site or even change the usual routine.
What to do if your cat is stressed?
The important thing is to trace from what moment the cat began to change its behavior, in order to find the necessary solution. Changes of any kind must be introduced subtly, allowing the animal to adapt to one before introducing another.
When it comes to the arrival of a baby, familiarize the animal with the places that correspond to the newborn, and let it adapt little by little to the sounds and new smells that the child brings with him, it is crucial for a convivencia harmonious The same happens with the intrusion of a new pet. The introduction of another animal in the home can not be done abruptly but gradually, giving each one their own space to sleep, relieve themselves and eat. In this way, the cat will not feel that its space is being invaded.
All these measures, of course, require a lot of patience and understanding. Likewise, it is necessary to provide the cat with objects and spaces so that it can carry out the typical activities of its species, such as scrapers, toys to chase and search, and shelves or cat trees where it can climb, because to try to suppress its natural behaviors only It will generate more stress and will not prevent the cat from urinating everywhere.
The waste box
If there is something that bothers cats is that they try to force them to use or do things that they do not like. That’s why if there is something that your cat bothers you in your sandbox, you will flatly refuse to use it and, therefore, the cat will urinate everywhere.
What things can bother your cat with its box? Well, the following:
- Do not clean it enough. The cat is unable to relieve itself in a place that it considers dirty, so you should pick up the waste more frequently and keep the box clean. Boxes with lids are not recommended, as they accumulate unpleasant odors inside them.
- More than one cat uses the box. If you have several cats at home, it is best that everyone has their own container for the waste, and it is even recommended to have an extra, because you never know what can happen to your cats. That is, if you have two kittens, you must have three boxes, and so on.
- He does not like sand. Some cat sands are scented to hide the smell of debris from the human nose. However, it is likely that this aroma bothers your feline, so I decided to use another corner of the house as a bathroom. Likewise, it may be the texture that displeases you and leads your cat to urinate everywhere except in its box.
- He does not like the box. A box that is too high or too small will make your cat uncomfortable when using it.
- He does not like where he is. Cats can not stand their needs near where they sleep or eat, so if your sandbox is very close to these areas you may prefer to get away a little. In addition, if you place it in a busy place in the house, close to the circulation of people, or where the sound of household appliances can disturb it, look for a quieter place to relieve yourself.
- It is not easy to access. If you put the box in a place that your cat can not access quickly and easily, it is possible that urgency (or laziness) make you prefer another place closer.
We hope that with these tips you can detect why your cat urinates everywhere and find a solution easily. Remember to have patience and consult your veterinarian before any eventuality.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why does my cat urinate everywhere?, we recommend that you enter in our behavior problems section.