How to know the age of a cat?
It is very common that those who adopt a cat in a shelter or directly from the street are unaware of the specific age that the new member of the family may have. Although it is not exceedingly relevant to know the exact age, yes it is important to know approximately In what age range you are in order to plan your care or the food you need.
Discover in this article how to know the age of a small cat, adult or old, with details and indications that will help you calculate it:
Know the age of a small cat
A cat is considered a puppy from birth to the year of life. Small cats are especially fragile and vulnerable and should not be exposed to the outside until the feline vaccination schedule is up to date, mainly to avoid the spread of any disease.
In this stage they will begin in socialization and will need very specific care to survive. Among them we can mention the food, temperature or sphincter management. At the end of this stage is when we should start teaching our cat to use the scraper and the sandbox.
- Between one and ten days of life: The cat can not do anything by itself. He is not able to get up or fully open his eyes and depends exclusively on his mother or caregiver. At this time they are very fragile and usually show very thick and short fur. We must provide the necessary care to make it go ahead.
- Between ten days and the month of age: From this moment, the small cat is able to open his eyes and begins to show interest in the environment, progressively. Although they are not able to coordinate their movements well, little by little they will try to improve their balance. It is the moment in which socialization begins.
- From the month of age: The cat begins to develop and show behaviors typical of adulthood such as trying to hunt, active games, body hygiene. He will continue to show little coordination in his movements.
- A month and a half old: This is a very revealing moment since the puppy cat’s eyes acquire the definitive color, losing the characteristic blue of childhood.
- Between two and three months of age: The cat usually weighs approximately between 800 grams and 1 kg of weight. They are practically developed and actively experience the environment in which they live.
- Between three and six months of age: After three months the cat begins to show the final teeth, that is, much whiter and brighter.
- Between six months and one year of age: At this stage the cat still shows typical puppy behaviors, but his body begins to reach adult size.
Calculate the age of an adult cat
Adult cats are those that are found between the year and seven years of age. In this stage the cat has already overcome the process of socialization and begins in sexual maturity, which can lead to marking in male cats and the first heat of a cat.
This is the perfect time to consider sterilization, something we should consult with our trusted veterinarian. The adult cat, although it can remain playful, begins to have a more stable behavior.
- From the first year of age: By observing the dentition we can observe a slight opaqueness of the teeth as well as the appearance of tartar. It’s the perfect time to start taking care of your teeth
- Between the second and the third year: It is usual that at this stage we see even more tartar in the cat’s teeth, however, it can sometimes be difficult to observe, especially if we have done dental hygiene or if the previous owner carried it out.
- Between the fourth and the seventh year: The teeth begin to wear out and the accumulation of tartar is very evident, in addition, your gums begin to pigment.
Know the age of an elderly cat
Older cats often show a much more relaxed lifestyle. It is estimated that they reach this stage about seven or eight years, but even surpassing this age some may seem very young and be active, it will depend on each cat. Although that yes, the old cats spend more hours sleeping and resting and usually begin to suffer diseases typical of the age like the loss of vision, kidney problems, muscular pain.
It is very important to be clear about the care of the elderly cat, since you will need a specific diet, a comfortable place to sleep and even pain in your extremities.
- Between seven and ten years: The cat begins to become lazy and it is usual that the pigmentation of the nose or gums continues to advance. The first age-related diseases also begin to appear, but at first glance it still looks like a normal and healthy adult cat.
- Between ten and fifteen years: In this stage the accumulation of tartar on the teeth of the cat is very evident. Regardless of the dental hygiene or the care that we have been able to offer you, your teeth show the passage of time. They begin to lose weight and lose muscle tone and you can see the trace that the legañas have left over time.
- Between fifteen and twenty years: In this stage the old age of the cat is totally evident since in addition to all the health problems that may suffer we can observe the appearance of gray hair in the coat. It is common to thin and look slightly worse, and observe an exaggerated growth of the nails.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to know the age of a cat?, we recommend that you enter in our Curiosities section of the animal world.