Teach my cat to sleep in his bed
If you have a cat at home, then it is not a secret to you that these animals, in addition to beautiful and good company, are also dominant and in some cases even capricious, so from the beginning it is necessary to establish the minimum standards of coexistence with them.
It is very common to hear from people who have cats complaints about how they are not allowed to sleep after a certain hour in the morning, or that they simply do not know what to do to get the cat used to sleeping in his bed and not in other places of the home.
This is why in we present you some tips on how teach my cat to sleep in his bed, so that at last you can make your feline understand what their resting space is.
Why does not my cat want to sleep in his bed?
The cats are independent animals They spend around fifteen hours a day sleeping, so it is not strange that they change their place to rest and explore new surfaces on which they can sleep comfortably.
However, many cat owners would prefer that they sleep in the beds they have purchased for them, mainly to prevent them from napping on furniture, tables and human beds.
In principle, you must understand that if your cat does not want to sleep in his own bed this does not mean he does not like it, but in his opinion other surfaces offer what felines look for most when they choose a space to rest: warmth, comfort and safety.
That’s why some cats choose their dream room on furniture or tables, or even on your bed. In the first two cases, the decision is usually related to the comfort offered by these spaces and even with the height they provide, since the cats they feel more secure when they sleep in high places that protect them from “predators”.
If you want to sleep in your bed, this responds to deeper reasons:
- The cat feels safe with you, so look for your protection at bedtime.
- He considers you part of his pack, so sleeping close to you is normal, since that is how the kittens rest.
- Prefers the height of your bed, because it gives superiority to possible threats.
- Look for your body heat, because the temperature of your body goes down while you sleep.
- He misses you, especially if you spend a lot of time away from home, so take advantage of the hours of the night to be near you.
Despite these reasons, many cat owners prefer that their hairy does not sleep on the cushions of the room and much less with them, either because they are allergic, because their partner does not like it, for reasons of hygiene or simply because the feline is so active at night that it does not let them sleep.
Choose a suitable bed
The first step for your cat to want to sleep in his bed is to choose an appropriate one for him. From the moment you know you will have the cat at home, it is necessary that you select a space to place your bed and you get one, either buying one or packaging a box or basket to serve as a cat bed.
Whether you buy or prepare one, you must take into account some factors:
- The size: cats need space to turn around and stretch, so you should consider a size enough for your cat to do this, but without the bed becoming too big, or you will not like it. The idea is that it can stretch but at the same time feel protected therein.
- Hygiene: get a bed that is easy to wash, in order to eliminate odors, hairs and bacteria that could cause infections.
- The material: Some beds are made of wool and others are filled with foam, but the truth is that there are many models and materials. You must choose one that is comfortable for your cat taking into account the place where the bed will be (to know if it should be warmer or cooler) and the weather, since there are even thermal cushions to protect it in cold weather.
- The shape: find Open beds, high beds, cushions and small caves, so you must observe the tastes and habits of your cat to choose the correct one. If you prefer to sleep stretched, a spacious bed will be ideal; If, on the other hand, you like to dominate the space, a high bed or even a cushion placed on a shelf is what you are looking for; If you prefer to hide to sleep, then you should buy a soft cave.
The most important thing is that you understand that your cat should feel comfortable and safe at the time of using your bed. However, if after choosing the ideal bed you do not get to use it, follow the following tips to achieve it.
Tips for your cat to sleep in his bed
If you have decided that the cat should sleep in your bed, training for this should start from the moment the cat arrives home. However, if you already have an adult cat and now you want him to learn to use his bed, with patience This will also be possible, so do not worry.
- Place your bed in a fixed place of the house, preferably in a corner where the cat already used to sleep. If your animal prefers it that way and the weather allows it, look for a warm place.
- If he likes it sleep in the heights, acquire a bed with support or place yours on a shelf or chair. Make sure you have the right support to avoid accidents.
- In the hours of the day that the cat wakes up, it takes advantage of play with him and tire him, so that you feel exhausted during the night. You never wake him from his daytime naps.
- If you want to not get on your bed, Keep the door of the room closed during the night, regardless of the meows of the animal to open. If you insist and do not go to sleep, place yourself in your bed and caress him. Repeat this for several days in a row.
- To make you feel more comfortable, you can leave in your bed a garment that smells like you, in this way the feline will feel safe.
- Deja candies in the way of positive reinforcement in his bed so that he relates being in it with the prizes.
- When you notice that he enters alone in the bed, caress him and praise his behavior so that he understands that being there is good.
- Avoid giving too much food before going to sleep, because this will only make it hyperactive. A light dinner and a small game session is the best for a peaceful sleep.
- Both to avoid getting on your bed and other spaces where you do not want to sleep, try generate some nasty sound when you climb those sites, either with a bell or coins. This will make it relate the place to that sound. Avoid that you realize that you are the one that produces the annoying noise, because then it will not work.
- Never mistreat him or use violence to try to educate him.
With patience and love You will see how these tips will make your cat sleep in his bed after repeating them for several days. Of course, you must be firm and not waver in your attempts, because a moment of weakness will only confuse you.
Always remember that a healthy cat, with all its vaccines and veterinary check-up a day, will not transmit any disease even if it sleeps with you.
If you want to read more articles similar to Teach my cat to sleep in his bed, we recommend that you enter in our Basic Education section.