Does not your cat eat only everything you put, but also anything that falls on the ground? Besides, does he go crazy every time he gets the scent of a can of food that you have opened and begs for food constantly?
The obsession with food is a very common problem for many cat sitters who do not know how to avoid or correct it, knowing that it is not a healthy dynamic for the animal. In fact, your cat could have bad behaviors and aggressive attitudes with his environment if he is not pleased.
In this article we will explain what to do if your cat is obsessed with food, detailing the main causes and some of the treatments that you can apply to solve this problem.
Why is your cat obsessed with food?
Let’s go straight to the source, the feed. In this area we could have the first cause. Even though your cat is eating all day, you are not feeding enough, which is very different. Analyze well the physical constitution of your cat and see if it is abnormally skinny or on the contrary is overweight or obese.
Most cats only need to be fed 1 or 2 times a day, but if they are not being fed, or on the contrary, they receive low quality food, they will always look for food, both to fill themselves and to nourish themselves.
Remember that it is very important to provide a high quality protein to a young cat. The appetites of cats are closely linked to their protein requirements, so they are not getting enough digestible proteins, they will still be hungry.
If you have other animals in the house, make sure separate meals. For example, dogs are expert food thieves. It can also happen if we have several cats at home. Make sure that all the animals in your home receive food.
Symptom of a disease
Another cause that may cause your cat to be crazed by food could be that he suffered some disease. Many diverse health problems can cause behavioral changes and produce a strong increase in appetite of the cat.
However we should not panic, most of it is usually treatable if detected early. Among them are: hyperthyroidism, or hyperactivity of the thyroid gland, diabetes (which by the lowering of sugar will cause you to eat and drink more) Cushing’s syndrome and digestive problems.
Emotional disorder in cats and boredom
It was recently discovered that cats can suffer emotional psychological disorders that lead to harmful behaviors such as the case of the obsession with food.
Your cat may be suffering from the disorder known as “abnormal psychogenic eating behavior”. Psychogenic means that the disorder has a root that is emotional or psychological rather than physical. Basically it means that your cat is addicted to food.
The causes are still unknown but the treatment is based on a training with behavioral modifications, called behavioral therapy course. Take your cat to a consultation with an expert in animal behavior to diagnose properly, but first, observe if it presents the following signs:
- Even after eating his own food, he snatches food from other animals in the house.
- Not only do you plead for food while you are eating, but you are also able to jump to the table and steal your food directly from the dishes.
- Sisear and growl in despair as you place the portion of food.
- Excessive behavior of seeking attention.
- I try to eat objects and elements that are not food.
Part of the rehabilitation of your cat will carry out the following dynamics:
- Play time and interaction with him.
- Boredom is associated with stress in cats, which in some cases, make the cat want to eat even if he is not hungry.
- Reward good behaviors and ignore bad ones.
- Enrich the home environment with catwalks, scrapers, toys and houses for cats.
- And very important, that there is no food circulating around the house, except at lunchtime. This applies, not only for cat food, but also for human food. Remember that he makes no distinction.
Help him overcome obsession
There are some guidelines you can follow at home and monitor your cat’s progress. Maybe you can get rid of the obsession with food, but keep in mind that this it requires patience and that can take a good time. The constancy will be part of the long-term solution. Here are some tips for a cat obsessed with food:
- Strive to find a meal of the best possible quality. This ensures that your diet contains a high level of protein that will help you stay fuller longer. You can also choose to look for food with satiating effect.
- A couple of times a week, include in your dry food a small amount of wet food and mix it. This will make it more attractive to him and will stop appealing to other things.
- At the same time, dry food will make your cat want to drink more water and this will help keep it healthy and satiated.
- Never leave food feeds available to him during the day. Respect the routines. Feed it in two regular schedules or use it to only small amounts several times a day. One or the other.
- Every time you start ordering food, ignore it. Leave the room if necessary or lock yourself in another, you should not give away with prizes or treats for cats.
- Restrict your cat’s free exposure to food of any kind. Do not eat in front of him, adapt his schedules to yours and eat together.
- Meals must be regulated, and for no reason, there is additional food.
- Spend quality time with your cat, this will make you feel less bored, therefore, less anxious.
If you want to read more articles similar to My cat is obsessed with food – Causes and treatment, we recommend that you enter in our behavior problems section.