10 common things that can kill your cat
There are many things that can kill your cat and some are in your own house without you knowing. It will be essential that you inform yourself and know how to identify what these products, foods or plants are and keep them well away from your feline.
In we propose a complete list of common things that can kill your cat explaining why. In addition, we will also explain what to do if your cat suffers intoxication or how you can avoid it.
Keep reading and discover 10 common things that can kill your cat.
1. Water with bleach
It is usual that in the hottest seasons the cat tries to drink water from anywhere. Especially if you have your drinker empty, you can try drinking fluid from other places. If you have forgotten the bucket of water with bleach that you have used to clean, you may have a serious problem.
The cats they love bleachIt is irresistible to them. But that can mean a serious problem for your health. Bleach is very harmful and can cause serious problems in your digestive system, vomiting, excessive salivation and a lot of pain. Especially if they vomit, the bleach can be a terrible corrosive for the mouth of the cat.
Aspirin is a very common medicine, which does not harm the human body. However, the effects on our cat can be very serious since it is very poisonous for the felines. Other medications, such as paracetamol, are also toxic to cats.
The poinsettia one of the plants toxic to cats. It is very important to make sure that our cat can not access it in any way since they seem to have a natural attraction towards the poinsettia. The milky sage offered by this plant causes Vomiting and diarrhea in small quantities but in large doses can be very harmful.
Chocolate contains a toxic substance called theobromine, an alkaloid that is obtained from cocoa and that stimulates the nervous system of the cat. On the contrary that happens with people, felines they are not able to eliminate this substance from his body. Only six grams per kilogram of weight Can be deadly.
5. Snuff smoke
As with people, tobacco smoke promotes the appearance of cancer in the cat. If you are a smoker, bet on having your sales wide open, smoking outdoors whenever possible and always throwing the smoke to the ceiling.
6. Raw Fish
It is not a good idea to offer raw fish to our cat, even if we have left over portions of our sashimi. The raw fish may contain bacteria, very harmful for a cat that is used to eating dry feed. On the other hand, we must also monitor the spines, one of the first causes of intestinal perforation in cats.
Finally, comment that the consumption of certain fish, as is the case of tuna, can cause deficiencies of vitamin B and an excessive supply of mercury, very harmful to cats.
7. Naphthalene balls
It is very likely that your cat is attracted if you see naphthalene balls on the ground. If they are ingested we will have a very serious health problem because it damages the nervous system very badly. May cause vomiting, diarrhea and even seizures.
Toothpaste or toothpaste contains a large amount of chemical elements such as fluorine or abrasives (salt). Specifically fluoride, it is very harmful and dangerous to your cat’s health.
It can cause nervous alterations, lack of attention, heartburn, vomiting and internal damages. In the long run it may even cause incontinence and until death. It is very important to avoid the cat’s access to this product.
The different types of paints are composed of pigments, binders, solvents, plasticizers and other elements. All of them are harmful to the intestinal health of your cat but the solvents, specifically, can cause hallucinations, very intense internal pain, seizures, epilepsy, coma and even cardiac arrhythmias.
10. Rat poison
Evidently, any type of poison is Very harmful for the health of your pets. If you have cats or dogs at home you should never use rat poison to kill them since your animals could be affected. Let’s not forget that children are also susceptible to eating anything they find. Better bet for homemade traps that do not kill the rat and that can not cause damage to your animals. Ingesting this type of product can cause death very quickly.
What to do if the cat has been poisoned?
If your cat has been poisoned you should go to the veterinarian as soon as possible to help expel the toxic substance from your body. Remember that it is not advisable to try to make him vomit if we are not clear about what you have ingested, since some products such as bleach can act as dangerous corrosives in your mouth.
Go to emergency veterinarian If necessary, your cat’s life is at risk if you have ingested any of these common 10 things that can kill your cat.
Tips to prevent your cat suffering from poisoning
The best thing you can do to keep your cat from getting intoxicated will be keep all these products out of reach just like you would do with a small child. You can not expect the cat to know which things are harmful and which are not. You must ensure your safety in a responsible manner.
This article is merely informative, in .com we do not have the faculty to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to 10 common things that can kill your cat, we recommend that you enter in our Prevention section.