Aloe vera for the skin of the cat
People who have decided to share their home with a cat can disprove through their own experience all the false myths that surround the cats, such as being rough or barely needing care.
The truth is that the cat is an independent and exploratory animal but it is precisely because of these characteristics that it requires our full attention, because in its eagerness to discover the environment that surrounds it it can suffer various damages, fortunately, many of them can receive a treatment natural and effective
In this article we show you all the benefits and uses of aloe vera for the skin of the cat.
What is aloe vera and what are its medicinal properties?
Aloe vera is a succulent plant probably originating in Arabia, it is also known as aloe and although many people believe it is toxic to cats, the truth is that this is only a widespread myth.
Aloe vera has multiple medicinal properties and many of them act on the skin, are the following and are scientifically proven based on the chemical components found in the plant:
- Antibiotic action thanks to the presence of aloetin
- Antiseptic action granted by the saponin content
- Support in the processes of skin regeneration thanks to the content of amino acids, essential for the formation of new tissues
- Thanks to the presence of barbaloin, emolina and emodin aloe vera naturally produces salicylic acid, which acts as an analgesic
- Favors the healing of wounds thanks to mannose phosphate, a growth agent that acts on tissues
- It has mucilages, a vegetable and viscous substance that acts as an emollient on the skin and keeps it protected
- Improves hydration of the skin thanks to the presence of mucopolysaccharides
- Anti-inflammatory action thanks to the presence of phytosterols
In what cases can we apply aloe vera on the skin of the cat?
Aloe vera is widely used to treat various disorders in companion animals, for example, its use in dermatitis of dogs is very widespread, likewise, it is very beneficial for the skin of cats and represents a natural treatment, respectful and very effective against numerous dermatological conditions.
We can use it in the following cases:
- Healing and wound healing
- Skin allergy symptoms
- Ulcers and aphthae (also mouth)
- Inflammation of the skin by flea or insect bite
- Wounds on the pads
- Burn injuries
How to apply aloe vera on the skin of the cat?
It is essential that before applying aloe vera on a wound, you should previously clean it, applying gently water and a neutral soap suitable for veterinary use.
Later you can apply the aloe vera juice on the affected area, repeating the application at least 3 times a day.
To get good quality aloe vera juice you have two options:
- Extract yourself the pulp from the stems of aloe in the case that you have your own plants
- Acquire a pure aloe vera gel (aloe vera should be listed as the first component in the list of ingredients), preferably suitable for application on human skin (have a higher quality)
If you decide to extract the pulp from the stems yourself, you must first make sure that your plant is of the species aloe vera barbadensis, since there are multiple species of aloe and not all of them have the same medicinal properties.
If you want to read more articles similar to Aloe vera for the skin of the cat, we recommend you to enter in our skin care section.