Tricks to teach a cat
Cats just like dogs can learn tricks. The training process is similar, although it must be taken into account that the cat is a much more independent animal. In addition it will not be as simple to train an adult and sedentary cat as a young one.
Giving the leg, looking for the ball, or spinning on the ground are some of the tricks that a cat can learn. If you have a good relationship with your cat, you can incorporate these little tricks to share more moments with your friend. You will see how rewarding it is to see the cat bring your ball or give you the leg when you get home.
Everyone can, with patience, learn simple tricks. If you are interested in learning more about this topic, continue reading this article, and you will discover some tricks to practice with your cat.
What can I teach?
Like dogs, the tricks that we can teach our cat are infinite. It depends a lot on our imagination and how collaborative your cat is. The most common tricks are sit down, give the leg, turn on itself. However, a cat can perform other tricks such as going to the toilet by himself or walking on our hands.
The limits are set by your cat and you, even if you are reasonable and do not ask your cat to perform unnatural postures or actions that he can not understand. It’s a matter between your cat and you. Depending on the trust between them you can do more or less tricks.
Remember that the time to teach your cat It must be a fun time. Never get angry with him, it’s counterproductive and he can easily get scared. You must be patient and always use positive reinforcement. Rewarding with rewards the behaviors that we want to preserve.
Give the leg
Teach your cat to give the leg step by step:
- With the prize hidden in his hand, he stretches his arm in front of the cat. Before you can teach him the food so he wants to eat it.
- Gave “Greets“,”Hello“Or”Patita“, The command that you choose.
- Wait until I try to touch your hand with your paw. If you try to catch it with your mouth, put your hand away and say “No“
- When you touch your hand with your leg, give it your reward.
After several sessions you will start doing it without hesitation. maybe at first it will cost you to relate the command but is normal. You can eliminate the rewards over time. Although it is always convenient to repeat a session and prizes once in a while.
Once you have mastered the trick, you can crash your hand with yours at any time. Even if you do not receive food every time, it is a simple and quick movement that you will learn right away.
Turn on itself
We can teach him to spin around before receiving a prize or he can also lie on the ground and spin.
- The first is relatively simple. The cat will turn on itself with all four legs in contact with the ground.
- For our cat to turn, we just have to turn our hand over his head, letting him see the reward.
- We will draw the movement of the turns in the air.
- Your kitten will continue with the sight and with the body the movement of your hand. Use the words “Turn“,”Return“Or whatever you prefer.
- Repeat it several times in different sessions.
Turn on the ground:
- This trick is a bit more difficult than the previous one but with patience and effort everything can be achieved. We will use the same technique as in the previous case.
- The only thing we have to teach our cat before is to lie on the ground. Once it is that position, we will repeat the turn with our hand around it.
- Your kitten will follow the movement with the sight and at the end it will turn his whole body.
Always remember reward your cat. Especially during training.
Search and bring toy
This trick is very fun and with it your cat will exercise indoors, perfect for overweight cats. The trick is to throw a toy that you like a lot and get it back. It must be a cloth mouse object, or softball. The essential thing is that your cat can catch it with the mouth with ease and does not break easily. You can choose one that you already like a lot or try to introduce a new object.
As you well know, cats love to stalk and like dogs like to chase objects. It will be easier to teach this trick to a young cat, since they are more active but anyone can learn. Steps to follow:
- Show him the toy and move it in front of him. You will notice that his pupils dilate and he already adopts the stalking posture. If not, you should give the toy several times and reward it.
- Throw the toy. Try to make the path as long as possible. If your cat does not have space to run, he probably will not go for it and just watch how you throw it.
- Your cat will run out to get the toy. At the beginning he will play solo with him. We must go for the toy and repeat the launch.
- Many cats will already bring the toy back themselves. The mere fact that you re-launch it is enough incentive.
- If not, reward him every time he offers or approaches the toy.
More than a trick is a game between the two. Your cat will love it and it is a good way to exercise indoors. Outside it can also be done but your cat may not feel safe at all running out. Once you have understood the game, he will bring the toy to the sofa or bed.
El clicker It is a training tool that is normally used with dogs but is equally useful with cats. Other animals such as dolphins are also trained with it.
It is a small device that emits a characteristic “click“When pressed. It is used as secondary conditioned reinforcement. Noise is associated with the behavior we want. Normally our cat will associate it with food. If we use the clicker along with the rewards, our cat will associate that sound with what is doing well. Although sometimes do not receive reward.
It is a useful and easy to use tool. Use it only to train. Never in other situations or to attract the attention of your cat. You should only use it when your cat does the trick you want and deserves a reward. If not, you can confuse it and make it lose interest.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tricks to teach a cat, we recommend you to enter our Advanced Education section.