Tips to avoid cat fights
Cats are very territorial animals and it is not unusual for them to be spawned. If you already live with a cat at home and you are thinking of bringing him a mate, you should bear in mind that they will fight once. They are usually minor disputes but it is important that you know how to react to avoid injuries and that the problems go further.
Cats that enter and leave the house freely are more likely to run into a strange cat and fights can occur. When they occur outside the home, they are more difficult to avoid.
If you want to know more about the fights that occur between cats and how to fix it keep reading our article. It is important to know when to intervene and when not to avoid scratches or bites.
Why do cats fight?
It is impossible to determine exactly why two cats fight. We can only orientate ourselves based on the cat character and the situation that occurs, trying to guess it. The main reasons that cause fights between cats are the following:
Fight for the territory: Especially when a new cat comes home it is possible that the cats that already live in the home show some rejection. There are snorts, ambushes, and your cat may not let the new one access food or water. Depending on the character of the cats, if they are males or if they are not sterilized, injuries may occur if the enmity goes further. This situation can cause stress in the new cat and delay its adaptation to the house.
To avoid these initial fights you must separate the feeders, so that the new cat has its own space. This will also prevent the original cat from feeling invaded when using its catcher another cat.
Fight for the females: When several cats live at home, including males and females without sterilization, many fights can occur. Especially during the heat season, the males will try to monopolize the female.
Sterilization avoids these situations, makes coexistence easier and avoids unwanted pregnancies. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to keep an unsterilized female away from the males if they live in the same house. Informant in our article on the advantages of sterilizing a cat to learn more about the subject.
- Defending: When a cat feels threatened or cornered it can become very aggressive. You may be scared of a strange person, a dog or another unknown cat. They feel especially scared if they are cornered and can not escape from that situation.
If your cat bristles its tail, arches its back and begins to emit a hoarse growl it means that it feels threatened or frightened. You should never try to pick him up or try to caress him. The best is that leave him alone, just to be able to be. Come back when you are calmer. Keep in mind what has caused that situation since in similar situations it may come to attack to defend itself.
The arrival of a new cat
The arrival of a new cat at home is a very important event in the life of our cats. They feel they own your house so a new feline supposes an invasion of their territory. Therefore we must prepare the first visit of our new cat:
- Prepare an area for the new cat: you must have your own water and food. If in a first contact you try to eat from the feeder of your original cat, it may react badly.
- Grunts and snorts: it is normal that in the first contact the two cats growl, look at each other and show themselves very cautious. You do not have to worry, it’s normal. Do not try to play or approach from the first moment. They must do it on their own as the days go by.
- Gradual presentationIf you can, make the first visit last a few minutes and gradually let them share space. Encasing the two in the same room without knowing each other will surely lead to a fight.
- Avoid jealousy: try to pay the same attention to both cats. Jealousy between cats can cause fighting. Keep it in mind especially the first days.
- Cats catwalks: preparing an environment in which a cat can hide, climb and feel more comfortable can greatly help to make the first days more positive. We encourage you to use walkways, shelves and bridges.
Properly preparing the arrival of the new individual can prevent fights and discomfort within the home. Responsible adoption should always consider these small details.
Game or fight?
Even if your cats get along superbly, it is possible that a fight may occur from time to time. They have food in abundance and they have plenty of space but they still fight. Do not worry, it’s common, cats have a very special character and between them small disputes are produced and solved.
Even so the fights are not good and we must know how to differentiate when our cats are playing or fighting. Sometimes, especially young cats, they play very intensely and maybe when the moment arrives they emit some snarl or snort of warning. These are moments when the game goes on. The cats will solve it to each other. It is not advisable to intervene in these cases unless you have clearly gone to the fight.
In order to know if it is a fight or a game between brothers we must observe and pay attention to each cat. If you know his personality you will be able to recognize right away what situation is occurring.
How to stop a fight
To begin with, it is essential that you differentiate a fight or principle of aggression with a simple warning. Cats, like other animals, can not express to each other what they feel through words. For that reason, in the face of discomfort or discomfort they respond by snorting, grunting and showing their teeth.
Suppressing this natural behavior of the cat can lead to an aggressive and aggressive cat since we are teaching him that he should not growl, and therefore he could attack directly without prior notice. When our cat huffs another cat, he is explaining what his limits are and how far he can go. Do not be alarmed.
It is important if we observe fights between our cats do not let them go any further. If we let them fight, they can get hurt in the ears or neck especially. They will get used to that relationship and it will be very difficult to rectify their behavior. When your cats start to peel, follow these tips:
- Do not try to separate them: When two cats are locked in a shell they can scratch or bite you if you try to separate them. Never put your hands between them.
- Get your attention: I gave a “Do not!” energetic or another word in high tone. A whistle or a blow is also worth it. You must capture the attention of the cats so that they stop paying attention to the fight. That will probably make the less dominant individual flee.
- Spray: You can use a water spray to correct them but this action could turn against you, keep that in mind.
- Never use physical punishment: Aggressions are never productive. You will only make the relationship with your cat worse. You should always use positive reinforcement. You can use rewards to reward them when they are reconciled.
If your cats have quarreled or have been about to do it, the convenient thing is to try to anticipate and prevent it from happening again, read on and discover the proposals.
How do I avoid fights?
To avoid fights between the cats of our house we must observe them and know their personalities. Each cat reacts differently to certain situations. Some are especially crappy at the time of sharing food and others are disturbed when they sleep. Follow these tips:
- Anticipate: when two cats are tense it is obvious. When you observe that they begin to look for each other, it catches your attention and tries to cut the discomfort at its root. A simple high word can distract them and stop the discussion.
- To create a pleasant atmosphere: The catwalks, the tranquility and the relaxing music can help you to create an appropriate environment so that calm reigns in your home. If on the contrary you dedicate yourself to shouting, breaking objects and driving your cats crazy it is very likely that some problem may arise.
- See what caused the dispute: Although sometimes we will not know the cause, in others yes. If you discover that the problem is that they compete for the same bed or for the same toy, solve it. Buy another bed or other toy to avoid those fights. The use of the sandbox can also cause fights, get two sandboxes!
In a matter of weeks the new cat and the original will share games and probably bed. The cats they are very affectionate among themAs soon as they meet and have spent some time together without fights, they will groom each other and their relationship will grow closer. It is very gratifying that our cats get along well, since they will spend a lot of time together at home and in many cases without control of their owner.
And when I’m not at home?
The ideal would be separate the cats in different areas of the house so they do not get to fight each other. In addition to radically avoiding any type of fight will help them relax and feel comfortable.
When separating them, do not forget that everyone should have access to food, fresh water, a sandbox and a comfort zone. In addition, intelligence toys as is the kong, can help to calm your stress by promoting relaxation and stimulating your mind.
Also, it may interest you.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tips to avoid cat fights, we recommend that you enter in our behavior problems section.