Natural tranquilizers for cats
Natural therapies and home remedies are currently booming, not only in the field of human health, but also in veterinary medicine and this is due to a need to treat our pets in a manner that respects their organism.
There are many disorders that can respond positively to the application of natural remedies, therefore, it is important that these therapeutic tools are always considered as the first line of treatment.
If you want to take care of your feline in a natural and safe way, in this article we talk to you about the natural tranquilizers for cats.
Cats and stress
Have you ever noticed how your cat rubs against the corners, the furniture, the sofa and even your leg? This act frees pheromones, substances that only the cat detects and that although they participate in the heat and the reaction to catnip, they also act by giving your cat a feeling of control and dominance about the environment
The cat is an animal that needs to control its environment to feel good, therefore, any alteration that occurs in this environment can bother you and may even create stress and nervousness.
A cat can enter a state of anxiety and stress in various situations such as the following: visit to the veterinarian, coexistence with a new pet, loud noises, trips and removals. Stress is a threat to your health especially when it is chronic, therefore we are facing a situation that should be treated as a priority.
Advantages of natural tranquilizers for cats
Generally anxiety caused by a state of sustained stress is treated with drugs called benzodiazepines, these are very effective but also present numerous side effectsIn addition, their continued use may cause dependence and tolerance, which would imply the need to increase the dose progressively.
Other drugs that can be used in severe cases and whose therapeutic margin is much more limited than that of benzodiazepines are barbiturates, causing problems similar to those we have previously mentioned.
On the other hand, if we initially administer to our cat natural tranquilizers, not only will we prevent chronic stress from appearing, but we will also reduce the symptoms associated with their anxiety in a safe way for their organism.
The best natural tranquilizers for cats
Let’s see below what natural options you have at your disposal to treat anxiety and stress in your pet:
- Valerian: Valerian is a plant that can also be administered to dogs and has a mild sedative effect in addition to acting as a muscle relaxant. It will not be difficult for our cat to accept this plant since cats are attracted to its smell, however, valerian can initially cause a state of euphoria, therefore the best option is to opt for a specific nutritional supplement for cats that combines Valerian with other plant extracts.
- Balm: We are facing another medicinal plant suitable for the cat that is very effective in combating states of stress and nervousness. We recommend your administration especially in the days before a stressful event, such as pyrotechnics or a trip. We can also find it in the form of a nutritional supplement suitable for cats.
- Pheromone spray: Currently we can find a synthetic copy of the cat’s pheromones, which are those that he releases when he rubs against different objects. The application of these pheromones gives the cat the feeling of control and control over the environment and quickly calms his anxiety.
- Ignatia Amara: It is a very useful and effective homeopathic remedy against anxiety, in addition, it is completely innocuous and does not present any type of interaction. We recommend using the 15 CH dilution and administering 3 times daily 5 granules diluted in 5 milliliters of water.
- Bach flowers: The flowers of Bach act in a similar way to homeopathy and like this they do not present any type of adverse effect or contraindication. For situations of stress and sudden anxiety we recommend that you choose Rescue Remedy, a mixture of different floral extracts specifically designed to quickly improve anxiety, however, other floral extracts that you can use for this case are Rock Rose or Cherry Plum.
- Lavender Hydrosol: Hydrosol is a product obtained by making an essential oil, but unlike essential oil, it is much safer for your cat. In cases of stress you can spray your cat with a lavender hydrosol approximately 2 times a day. Lavender is a very effective mild sedative.
How to use natural tranquillizers for cats?
We recommend that before applying some of the remedies that we have shown you previously consult with the veterinarian. While Bach flowers and homeopathy are harmless, medicinal plants they do contain active ingredients that may be contraindicated for the health status of your cat or interact with a drug.
In addition, the veterinarian will advise you which remedy is most suitable for your cat, since it is very important to individualize each situation, especially when we want to use natural therapies.
If you want to read more articles similar to Natural tranquilizers for cats, we recommend that you enter in our behavior problems section.