How to make cookies for cats?
The snacks and prizes for cats they play a fundamental role during their education, and that reinforcing good behavior is always synonymous with success. However, many are the people who prefer to opt for a natural diet to feed their furry companion, since in addition to ensuring the quality of the products helps strengthen their immune, cardiovascular and joint, provided that it is established under the supervision of the veterinarian or feline nutritionist.
On the other hand, for no one is a secret that the palate of cats is much more demanding than that of other animals and, therefore, some of them tend to reject industrial awards, leading their human companions to prepare them at home. To help you, we explain you how to make cookies for cats and we share with you 4 very easy cat snack recipes, keep reading!
Before we get to work with the recipes of homemade cookies for cats, we will make a brief review of the ingredients that we will use, its benefits and how to replace them if you do not have any of them.
- Whole meal. Unlike refined flour, wholemeal flour is the result of processing the whole grain, without wasting any of its parts. Thus, said flour has a higher percentage of fiber than refined flour, being much more digestible for the cat and, therefore, preferably when it comes to making homemade recipes. Oatmeal and rice are the most recommended because of their multiple benefits, although we can also use the integral version of wheat or corn flour.
- Canned tuna. Despite the popular belief that ensures that tuna should be the main ingredient of the cat’s diet, the truth is that it is not one of the most recommended fish for its high content of mercury and sodium. However, a bit of fresh tuna cooked occasionally, or a can of tuna in water can be beneficial thanks to the contribution of protein, which is why in our recipes we will not use more than the recommended amount.
- Chicken breast. The chicken, however, is a food that is part of the list of most recommended meats for cats for its nutritional value and low fat intake, so we can offer it more often. The feline is a carnivorous animal and, as such, requires a high percentage of protein to stay healthy, and what better way to provide it than through homemade recipes? In this sense, we have chosen the part of the breast for being one of the healthiest, however, you can also use the thigh and even viscera like the liver. Also, you can use turkey meat failing.
- Catnip or catnip. What cat does not go crazy with this herb? And is that the properties of this plant originating in Europe produce in the animal an overstimulation that allows them to stay active mentally and physically. In itself, it is not a toxic plant for cats, but it is advisable not to abuse its consumption and offer it in moderation.
- Eggs. Especially the ground egg shell gives cats and dogs a high mineral content, so that we can use it to flavor their homemade recipes and increase their nutritional value. However, for cookies we will not use this part, we will use the interior, which is characterized by containing proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins and good fats. Despite its multiple benefits, it is not advised to provide the animal with more than two eggs per week, which is why in the following elaborations we will use one per recipe.
- Vegetable milk. Although not all cats develop intolerance to lactose, it is true that most of them end up presenting it to a greater or lesser extent. So, to avoid any negative reaction, we recommend opting for vegetable milks such as almond milk, rice milk or oat milk.
- Natural yogurt. Probiotics are composed of strains of beneficial bacteria necessary for proper digestion, as well as to synthesize certain vitamins and minerals. Today we have a wide range of products with probiotics specially designed to promote the intestinal flora of the cat, however, if we seek to use more natural and economic foods, yogurt is one of the best. In this sense, it is necessary that the selected yogurt is as natural as possible and without added sugars. Also, we can use yogurt to replace the milk when making cookies, since the amount of lactose is much lower.
- Olive oil. This type of vegetable oil provides the cat with antioxidants, vitamin E and good fats, mainly. It can be replaced with flaxseed oil if olive oil is not available.
- Fish oil. Besides being an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids for the feline, fish oil favors the immune system, has important anti-inflammatory properties, balances cholesterol levels and promotes the cardiovascular system.
- Vegetables. Not everything in the diet of the cat is meat or fish, nor all the owners offer the same diets to their felines, so that the vegetables also represent a good source of vitamins, fiber and minerals for them. For the preparation of cookies, the most recommended vegetables are carrots and squash, although we can also use as substitutes for these cooked peas or cucumber products.
Tuna biscuit recipe for cats
If your cat loves tuna, these simple cookies will become their undoing! Remember that it is recommended use tuna in water, since we will already add oil to the recipe. For its preparation, you can use manual rods, a spatula, wooden spoon and even a blender.
- 1 lata atún
- 1 integral flour cup
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of fish or olive oil
- 1 spoonful of catnip
- Drain the tuna, crumble it well and mix it with the egg in a bowl with sufficient capacity.
- Add the fish or olive oil and keep mixing to integrate the ingredients.
- It incorporates the catnip and, finally, the wholemeal selected, little by little and without stopping to beat.
- When you can, knead with your hands until you get a compact and homogeneous mass.
- Let the dough rest for a few minutes and, in the meantime, preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Spread the mass of the cat biscuits with a rolling pin and cut them into the shape you like the most.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake them for 10-15 minutes, depending on the type of oven and the texture you want to give the snacks.
- When they are ready, remove the tuna cat cookies from the oven, let them cool and offer them to your feline as a prize.
Recipe of chicken crackers for cats
As we pointed out in the first section, chicken meat is one of the most recommended to prepare homemade recipes for cats, both for its high nutritional value and its low contribution of bad fats. However, remember, you can always replace it with turkey meat.
- 1 cup of chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 1 integral flour cup
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable milk or plain yogurt
- Grind the cooked chicken to make the cat cookies more easily.
- If you use a blender or electric mixer, add olive or fish oil, egg and tablespoon of milk or yogurt to the glass and continue beating.
- Once the previous ingredients are integrated, add the flour little by little and continue to beat to integrate and form a uniform dough.
- Knead with your hands and spread the mass of the chicken biscuits for cats with a rolling pin to form them to your liking.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C and, meanwhile, place the cookies on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes, or until you notice they are ready.
- Remove them, let them cool and give them to your furry companion.
Recipe of salmon crackers for cats
Salmon is another favorite food for cats and, therefore, we could not miss the opportunity to prepare delicious homemade cookies with him. For this recipe we recommend using oatmeal, since both this product and salmon help improve the skin and hair health of your catHowever, if you do not have it, you can also use any other type of wholemeal flour. As for the main food, you have the option of using fresh or preserved salmon, since in both cases it is necessary to crush it to make the dough.
- 1 cup of whole grain oatmeal
- 50 grams of fresh or preserved salmon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Crumble as much as possible the salmon and, if you consider it necessary, crush it a little. In case of using canned salmon, it is not necessary to discard the liquid.
- Mix the salmon, the egg and the oil until the ingredients are completely integrated.
- Add the flour and add it to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C and prepare a tray lined with baking paper.
- This dough is less compact than the previous ones, so you should place small portions with the help of a spoon on the tray to bake the salmon cat crackers for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and serve.
Recipe for vegetarian cookies for cats
Some owners prefer to opt for vegetarian diets to feed their cats, which is why in our list of cookies for cats could not miss an option that fits these characteristics. Of course, to carry out this type of menu, without any type of animal meat, it is necessary to first consult with the veterinarian in order to offer the cat a Complete, balanced diet and adjusted to your particular needs. That said, for the recipe of these cookies we have opted for two highly beneficial foods for cats: carrot and pear. However, as we pointed out at the beginning of the article, these products can be replaced by pumpkin, cooked peas, cucumber or apple. On the other hand, these homemade treats are also perfect for cats that usually consume a large amount of meat, and a lower percentage of fruits and vegetables.
- 1 integral flour cup
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 pear peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grate the carrot and chop the pear well, both products previously peeled.
- Mix the above foods with the egg and olive oil.
- Add the flour little by little and keep mixing.
- If you consider it necessary, pour some water to bind the mixture and obtain a compact and manageable mass.
- Stretch the dough with a rolling pin, cut the cookies and preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Place the snacks on a tray lined with baking paper and bake the vegetarian cookies for cats for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until done.
- Take them out of the oven, let them cool and serve them.
How to give homemade cookies to your cat?
Although the cookies for previous cats are all made with natural products and beneficial for cats, in no case can constitute all of their diet. So, we will offer cookies as a prize, snack or occasional complement to your usual diet, and without giving more than two followed to avoid digestive problems. On the other hand, it is essential to observe the reaction of the feline to offer any new or home-made food to prove that it does not present any allergy or intolerance. If you assimilate it correctly, we can continue to provide it without problems, but if, on the contrary, it shows some negative sign, we should remove it immediately.
Conservation of cat cookies
As it is a homemade product, the cookies for cats they do not usually last more than a week, that is why we advise to elaborate them in small quantities. To preserve them, you should put them in a jar with airtight seal and leave them in a cool and free of moisture, or in the refrigerator if the weather is very hot.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make cookies for cats?, we recommend that you enter in our section of Homemade Diets.