Tips for bathing a cat with fleas
Fleas can become a real torture when they attack your cat. Not only do they produce unbearable itching, they also cause diseases and become difficult to eradicate.
In we are sure that you know the multiple methods that exist to eliminate the fleas of your cat, and that you use the one that more comfortable results to you and that achieves better results in your feline friend. However, several of these methods are much more effective if accompanied by a good bath, so here we present some tips for bathing a cat with fleas.
The importance of the bathroom
Anyone who has a cat at home knows perfectly well that it is difficult to make them become friends of the water. Instinctively, the cat will avoid getting wet at all costs, so you need some tricks to bathe it.
Although many veterinarians do not recommend giving periodic baths to the cat, because with its exhaustive hygiene system it is usually enough, there are some occasions in which it is necessary to give them a hand, as when the fleas invade them. In this sense, a flea bath can help you rid your pet of these pesky pests, or act as a reinforcement in the process. If you use a shampoo for cats formulated for this purpose, we recommend you consult with your veterinarian about the most appropriate brands. Or, if you prefer, make your own cat flea shampoo following our advice.
Important! Kittens under 3 months and without vaccinations can not be bathed for any reason, consult a specialist on the best way to remove fleas. Also, be sure to check our article on home remedies for fleas in baby cats.
Here are some recommendations to keep in mind if you need to give your cat a flea bath.
Recommendations before bathing to eliminate cat fleas
Before bathing your cat with fleas, it is imperative equip you with everything you need: two towels, a small bathtub, two smaller containers, anti-flea shampoo for cats, a flea comb with fine teeth, prizes for your feline or toys. You will use them in the following way:
- Your cat will go in the bathtub, in this way, you avoid getting nervous if you simply put it in the sink or shower.
- Put one of the towels inside the bathtub so you can scratch it; the other will be used to dry it at the end of the flea bath.
- One of the small containers will serve to throw the water to the feline, the other must reserve it for fleas.
- The shampoo and comb will eliminate much of the parasites.
Now that you have everything you need to bathe your cat with fleas, keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Cut your cat’s nails to avoid getting hurt during the process.
- Brush the fur to remove all dead hair and make your work easier.
- A while before the bath, the cat is used to touch it behind the ears and around the legs.
Tips to keep in mind during the bath
Now, it’s bath time! To make it as effective as possible and you can eliminate fleas from your cat easily, follow our recommendations:
- Keep calm and talk to the feline with love, using a calm tone. It is normal to be nervous and try to flee, so you need to transmit peace of mind.
- Keep the closed bathroom door to avoid escape attempts. If necessary, seek the help of another person.
- Put two cotton balls in the ears of your cat to avoid getting water.
- Fill the small tub with little warm water (it should not feel hot when you touch it) and first introduce the legs of the animal.
- When you feel comfortable with wet legs, go moistening other parts of your body with your hand, and little by little you can use one of the small containers to wet your fur more.
- When the fur is wet, it’s time to apply the flea shampoo. The fleas will try to escape to the head, so you should draw with shampoo and water a kind of necklace around the neck to prevent this from happening.
- Perform a massage with the shampoo throughout the body of the cat, emphasizing the head (care for the eyes, nose and ears), neck and tail.
- As you see the fleas move trying to escape, grab them with your fingers or with the comb and throw them into the second small container, which will be next to you with hot water to eliminate them.
- By getting enough foam, use the comb to extract the fleas and drop them in the container with hot water.
- When you finish, wash your cat’s coat very well so that no soap remains.
And after the cat bath?
Once the task of bathing your cat with fleas, and removing all the parasites, it’s time to completely dry all the hair of your feline, in such a way that it is neither wet nor wet. Then, reward your pet with a candy for cats or your favorite toy. Remember that positive reinforcement is essential to avoid associating the bathroom with something negative and behave well the next time you have to submit to one.
It is not enough to give a bath to your cat to eliminate fleas, because these also lodge in certain spaces of the home, so you must perform a deep cleaning not only of all the areas where the cat is usually, but also of his bed, toys, sandbox and even all the furniture and carpets of the house.
- To eliminate fleas and eggs, wash all your cat’s items with hot water and steam the spaces of your house.
- Wash the floor with water and vinegar, and use the vacuum cleaner to clean your carpets. If necessary, place natural repellents in different areas of the home.
This article is merely informative, in .com we do not have the faculty to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tips for bathing a cat with fleas, we recommend that you enter in our Deworming section.