How to know if my cat is fat?
Obesity is a frequent problem in cats, especially when they get older, and therefore caregivers should know that it is not just a problem of aesthetic order. Obesity and overweight will affect the health of our cat and is, therefore, a condition that we should avoid. In this article, we are going to explain How to know if a cat is fat, the consequences of this problem and what measures we can take to help our cat recover its ideal weight.
Body condition of the cat
Cats are characterized by their agile and elegant shapes. Capable of jumping, climbing and running, they function as perfect machines, for which they must maintain a adequate body condition. Thus, although it is not possible to give the cat an ideal weight according to its age, there are criteria to determine if the cat is at its optimum weight, thinner, much thinner or, on the contrary, is overweight or obese in greater or lesser degree. These criteria are expressed in a series of drawings that can be found in the veterinary centers or on the website of the WSAVA Global Veterinary Community.
A cat at its ideal weight is well proportioned, the waist is appreciated and the ribs are palpable, that are not visible. In addition, the accumulation of abdominal fat is minimal. On the contrary, in the obese cat it will be difficult to touch the ribs because a layer of fat will prevent it, it will present a rounded abdomen, also by the accumulation of fat. Neither will the waist be distinguished. In some cases there will also be fatty deposits in the lower back. Thus, the body condition of a cat is assessed by observation and palpation.
How to make a cat lose weight?
We have already seen how to know if a cat is fat, we will now comment on what elements will help us to maintain it in its ideal body condition:
- In the first place it is important that we go to veterinary reviews. It is common that, as caregivers, it costs us to realize that our cat is above its ideal weight. In these cases the veterinarian will be able to evaluate it following the guidelines that we have commented.
- The exercise It is, also, basic. A cat with access to the outside usually has opportunities to keep fit, however, a cat that lives in an apartment may not display all the necessary activity. To avoid your sedentary lifestyle we must implement environmental enrichment measures.
- Of course, feeding It is a basic pillar to maintain the ideal weight of a cat. This must be adapted to the age of the animal and its vital circumstances and must always be provided in the proper amount.
- Likewise, you must control the abuse of prizes or leftovers of human food.
- In sterilized cats we must reduce energy consumption.
- Finally, any sudden change in the body condition of our cat, both weight loss and weight gain, is a reason for veterinary consultation.
As we see, there are many factors involved in weight. In addition to those mentioned, there would be race, sex or age and those that depend on caregivers, such as the choice of diet and how to offer it, the type of environment it provides and even its perception of the physical condition of the animal. These are the last factors on which we can act.
Consequences of obesity in cats
If the guidelines we have given for how to know if a cat is fat we conclude that he is overweight we must take very seriously to recover his optimal body condition, since obesity is a risk factor for different diseases and, in addition, it can worsen the clinical signs of others. On the other hand, obese animals have a limited tolerance to exercise and heat and more complications when using anesthesia.
Best food for obese cats: guidelines and recommendations
In addition to increasing physical activity and enriching the environment when we know that our cat is fat, we can try to lose weight through food, for which we must have the help of our veterinarian so that, based on the current consumption of our cat, calculate the amount that we will offer you daily to lose weight.
It is important decrease the consumption of fat, but not the protein, while the fiber and water is increased, so wet food can help in these cases. It is also better option ration food several times before offering it freely available throughout the day. A diet to reduce weight can also include prizes, but always being aware of the calories they contribute, which in any case can not exceed 10 percent of daily energy. Our veterinarian must control the progression of weight to reevaluate the diet.
This article is merely informative, in .com we do not have the faculty to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to know if my cat is fat?, we recommend that you enter in our Prevention section.