Within the care of our cats is the vaccination calendar and annual deworming. Many times we remember the first but the parasites are easily forgotten. The deworming serves to eliminate the different undesirable guests that try to colonize it from the digestive system or the fur of our animal.
In this article we will try to put an end to a very common doubt in the owners that it is about How often should I deworm my cat?
Keep reading and discover our tips and proposals, an important lesson that you should not forget:
Is it important to deworm my cat?
Cats are very clean animals, but in front of parasites no one is saved. We must protect them both internally and externally. It is never recommended to wait until you have parasites to start treatment. Forever it is preferable to prevent than to cure, so. Let’s do it!
First we must remember that there internal parasites as intestinal worms and external parasites like fleas and ticks. Remember to observe our animal well daily and, when in doubt, go to the veterinarian for diagnosis. It is important to follow the doctor’s recommendations closely and respect the schedule recommended by us.
Deworming of puppies cats
Starting at 6 weeks of life, our little pussycat is already in a condition to be dewormed. There are calendars that indicate that we must do 3 shots until we reach the 3 months of life, so we spaced it in 1 takes each 2 weeks.
Normally to facilitate the process, products are chosen in drops. Puppies are very vulnerable to internal parasites at this stage of their lives, which can cause serious health problems. But this is at the discretion of the veterinarian according to the origin of our animal and what exposure has these small occasional guests.
Externally, to cover the attacks of fleas and ticks, which are the most disturbing to our little we found several products:
- Pipettes: ideal for those who have access to the outside as terraces or gardens and we can apply them up to 1 every month (according to the indications of each product).
- Sprays: They are more economical but less effective and with risks to the intake and cause unnecessary internal damage. Nasal skin allergies may also appear.
- Necklaces: They are effective for indoor cats but we must accustom it as a child so that it does not generate discomfort in your body.
There are also home remedies for intestinal parasites in cats that can be useful in case of emergency.
Deworming of adult cats
As we said in the previous section, until the 3 months of life our little kitten will be protected, then we must continue with the calendar of his adult stage.
The common thing is that in the veterinary consultation you meet with owners who believe that since their cat does not leave home, and lives alone, they are not exposed to these phenomena. But this is not right, we we can be carriers of parasites that affect our animal. Therefore, we must continue with the calendar proposed by the veterinarian.
- Recommended internally,2 minimum annual deworming, through drops or pills. According to the recommendation of the veterinarian.
- In the case of external parasites, fleas are the most common and ticks on animals that are outdoors. But the recommended products are the same as those mentioned above (collars, pipettes and spray) and the repetition will be in accordance with each product chosen.
This article is merely informative, in .com we do not have the faculty to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How often should I deworm my cat?, we recommend that you enter in our Deworming section.