Home remedies for the cold of the cat
Did you know that there are home remedies for the cat cold? Felines are prone to respiratory diseases, the most common being the cold.
Have you seen your kitten less active than normal, looking for heat, watering and sneezing? Surely, have a cold.
It is a mild problem but not least important. Below we inform you about the cold in cats and the remedies you can offer at home, before going to the vet.
The cold in cats
This respiratory disease can be simple and temporary, but if we do not help our partner overcome it by treating the symptoms there may be complications and eventually secondary diseases of the respiratory tract. For the cold there is no direct cure, that is, it is cured by letting the virus do its process and suffering the symptoms in the most bearable way possible until the disease ends, generally, in about 10 days. Being a mild illness we can try to follow a symptomatic treatment from home, but always keeping in mind that if our pet worsens immediately we should go to the vet.
This disease in cats has nothing to do with what occurs in humans, so we can not infect each other.
The cold usually occurs in the winter months due to low temperatures, but it is also very common during the hot months due to drafts and sudden temperature changes. Like most respiratory diseases that occur in cats, the cold, as well as the flu virus feline, are diseases highly contagious among them. Because of this, if we detect that one of our domestic cats is in the process of catching a cold and living with more, we should isolate it as much as possible during the viral process and especially wash our hands well before and after being with him.
In healthy adult cats the process will last around 10 days, but in small kittens, nursing mothers, sick individuals and old specimens, a simple cold can become complicated and lead to more serious problems such as pneumonia. Therefore we recommend that if your cat meets the profile of one of the weakest specimens before a cold, take it directly to your trusted veterinarian. On the other hand, if our cat is normally in good health and is an adult, we can help you at home in a more calm and economical way, being able to help you to overcome the cold before the 10 average days that usually lasts the process.
The fact that our friend colds tells us that he most likely has been low defenses due to some lack of food. So we must strengthen the immune system and check that you do not have any other problem or disease that may have caused the lowering of defenses.
The best prevention is to follow the vaccination schedule that our veterinarian indicates for our pet. In addition we should always be careful with drafts and sudden temperature changes.
Cold symptoms in cats
For detect if our cat is cold we must look at the symptoms, which fortunately are quite evident and clear:
- Difficult breathing
- Nasal and ocular discharge
- Slight fever
- Slight lethargy
- Slight loss of appetite
- Slight conjunctivitis and swelling of the third eyelid
- Sore throat
How to help my cat to overcome the cold?
We went on to explain a series of remedies and basic things to treat the symptoms so annoying from the cold of our sick companion. But keep in mind that if you have to provide some type of medication is extremely important to prescribe and indicate your dose to the veterinarian, since we must remember that cats are very sensitive to medication and run the risk of intoxicating them if we supply medicines human and / or in the way that may seem right to us, so we should always go to the veterinarian in these cases.
The care and remedies What you can give your kitten sick of cold are:
- We have to help him eat, because by itself it will eat very little or nothing due to the reluctance that the viral process causes. As it is vital that the animal continues to nourish itself so that its immune system is strengthened, we must help it by stimulating its appetite or by giving it the food ourselves. As the cold will cost you notice smells and tastes, give hot food which gives off much more smell or good, offer food that even cold has a strong smell, like canned tuna. You can soak your usual feed with a chicken broth that will soften the granules and give much more flavor to this one, making it easier for our cat to eat it. If you notice that it is hard for you to swallow due to an irritation of the throat, we recommend that you crush the food and it will be much easier to swallow and digest it. If you still do not eat by yourself, we should bring the food to your mouth and nose and even open a little mouth and make it taste a little, maybe that way you will open a little appetite. Another way is to spread the food on a front leg, as this will lick it to clean and you will want to start eating something.
- It is very important that you provide heat both with the ambient temperature and with blankets where you can snuggle and sleep.
- We must provide you fresh waterabundant since this viral process produces dehydration with ease.
- Avoid all possible air currents that there may be at home. The air currents are completely undesirable because they will only worsen their condition.
- Help him clean himselfeyes and nose often so that you do not accumulate annoying tears and snot that crust and give hygiene problems. With a sterile gauze and physiological serum you can clean the nose and eyes of your cat, using a different gauze for each eye and another for the nose, thus avoiding possible infections. So our sick hairy will breathe and see better. Also, if there is conjunctivitis, we should clean the eyes with an ophthalmic solution prescribed by the veterinarian. If we observe that his nose is very covered, we should administer saline inside his nose to favor its cleaning and unclogging.
- Increases the humidity of the environment with a humidifier If you do not have a humidifier or vaporizer, provide steam baths, for example, let the hot water run from the tap while keeping the door and window of the bathroom closed, thus accumulating steam and allowing your cat to be there, better accompanied by you , a few minutes (maximum 15 minutes) breathing the steam. This will help you move and expel mucus.
- Leave himrest a lot and sleep peacefully. Do not force him to play or move out, because he needs to recover his strength.
- Once you have overcome the process, it will be good to help you prevent possible relapses. We can do it with natural supplements like homeopathy for cats that stimulate their immune system, for example beta-glucans.
- Above all, if after a few 4 or 5 days of the viral process doing everything mentioned above, it is important that If our cat does not improve, we should go immediately to the vet, because surely it will have been complicated and should be treated as soon as possible.
This article is merely informative, in .com we do not have the faculty to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for the cold of the cat, we recommend you to enter our section of Home Remedies.