Maine Coon Cat: Breed Personality, Behavior Facts and Characteristics, Health Care Info
The Maine Coon Cat Known as the giant of domestic cats, a majestic race, very sociable and a perfect companion animal.
Images and photos of Cats Maine Coon
In this section you can find pictures of Gato Maine Coon. Click on the image to see it in full resolution.
What is a Maine Coon Cat?
The Maine Coon Cat, Maine Coon o Mancoon is the largest in the world, one of the most majestic cat breeds, it is known as the mapach cate by the resemblance of its tail with the small mammal in Silver Tabby specimens. It is a very sociable domestic feline, easy to care for, a perfect companion animal.
This impressive feline despite its appearance and its enormous size has a character that transmits tranquility and generates confidence. It is a mixture of sweetness ideal for an excellent pet.
Cat Maine Coon the largest breed
What does Maine Coon mean?
The meaning of the name of this feline basically is based on its place of origin the state of Maine in the United States and the resemblance of the tail of some specimens with the raccoon (in English coon).
What is the origin and history of the Maine Coon?
The cat breed Maine Coon is native to the United States, appeared approximately the year 1953 in the state of Maine. It is the result of the crossing between native and semi-wild cats from the forests of the Northeastern United States and Angora cats brought by English settlers.
Captain Jenks was the name of the first Maine Coon, famous in the exhibitions of Boston and New York. The Central Maine Coon Cat Club boosted the popularity of this magnificent breed. Although it is a magnificent cat, it was replaced by other breed preferences such as the Persians and Siamese, which were introduced in America.
What are the most common features of the Maine Coon cat?
Weight, height and length of Maine Coon
Size: the cat maine coon is big size.
Weight: the weight of these felines varies according to sex, being the females smaller than the males with an average weight between 5 to 7 kilos and from 7 to 11 kilos in the males.
Height: You can measure between 25 to 40 centimeters high.
Long: on average it can measure a meter, there are exceptional cases of some cats that can reach to measure 1.20 meters long.
Physical characteristics of the Maine Coon
Body: It has a long structure, large size, has a solid skeleton. Muscular and powerful, with wide chest and rectangular shape
Eyes: they are large and separate, they have a light oval shape, they are not almond-shaped, they look round when they are very open. As for color it can be presented in all colors
Nose: the nose is medium a little concave.
Ears: They are large and broad-based, moderately pointed, and with hair protruding from the ears.
Head: it is medium with angular contours, it has a profile with a slight concave curve, the brow slightly convex convex. It has a firm chin in the form of a vertical line with the upper lip and nose.
Extremities: It has strong legs, medium length, large and round feet.
Tail: it is long the size of the distance between the base of the tail and the homoplate. Wide and thin base to the tip, with long and abundant hair.
Fur: the hair is adapted according to the season of the year. It has long hair on the belly and has a silky, smooth and waterproof texture.
Coat color: The Maine Coon cat accepts solid colors (white, black, blue, red and cream) and tabby, smoke, silver and calico patterns. They may not have white, be of any color and at the same time may be full white. With this you have more than 75 different color combinations.
How is the character and behavior of a Maine Coon cat?
The Maine Coons are also known as Gentle Giants because they are gentle, affectionate and very special.
They are cuddly and docile animals, purring and affectionate, they love interacting with humans. They are also playful and fun, they never tire of playing, even when they are adults, they love playing with their family.
The Maine Coon are intelligent cats, many can learn to open doors, can memorize words.
They have great qualities such as personality, security and fidelity, it is a peaceful cat. His temperament makes him feel autonomous and is capable of taking care of himself in any circumstance.
He is sociable with everyone, sometimes also with strangers, he can live quietly in an apartment, but he needs to have the necessary space.
How much does a Maine Coon cat live?
The Life expectancy of the Maine Coon this between the 9 to the 15 years, although there are reports in some countries about some who lived 18 years.
How to care for a Maine Coon cat?
As shown previously the Maine Coon has abundant fur, for that reason it is necessary to maintain its appearance and brightness.
You must brush it removing the dead hairs. Brush it like three to four times a week, using a special brush for long-haired cats. With only 5 minutes at a time, it will suffice, that way you will prevent the pussycat from swallowing its pelito. You can provide malt to your partner for the expulsion of ingested hair in case it happens to your cat.
Maine Coon hygiene
Regarding the bath of the Maine Coon, contrary to most other breeds of cats, they like water and you will not have problems when bathing it. Bathe with tempered water between 36 to 38 centigrade. Something unusual about this cat, which is shown in many American family photos in the pool, are excellent swimmers. Although they love water, it is not recommended to bathe cats often using shampoo. You can damage your coat, but you can give them baths in water to cool them.
Care in your Maine Coon diet
Regarding food is necessary to monitor it, ensuring that it is of quality. Our pet must have daily physical activity, play with it, encourage its mobility since it is a feline that likes physical challenges.
An important aspect to take into account, is that this cat needs to be well hydrated. Always provide fresh, clean water, drinking water keeps the PH level and natural oils in your coat. Add foods rich in Omega 3, to complement the nutrition of your coat.
How should food be in Maine Coon cats?
Regarding the feeding of the Maine Coon Cat, you must put a lot of care and attention.
This pussycat may have the tendency to eat a lot, if you overfeed it is very possible that you gain weight and be obese. For this reason you must control your kitten very well since it depends on the animal’s health.
It is recommended to provide them with high quality dry food, as well as to give them wet foods in cans or sachets. Control the proportion of your food avoiding that you have excess fats.
You can provide your Maine Coon croquettes of large size, since the jaw of the cat is large and square. In this way chewing is encouraged that favors oral hygiene.
Due to the size of the Maine Coon, it is necessary that the food reinforces the joints of the feline. There are specialized foods, which you can consult with the veterinary professional.
What diseases are the most common in Maine Coon Cat?
The Maine Coon despite its size and strength, like any other cat, can suffer diseases and genetic pathologies of the breed.
One of the weakest points of cats and especially Maine Coon is the digestive system. You can also be overweight and get to weigh 20 kilos or more. With what can bring consequences such as heart disease, hip and joint deformation.
Cat Maine Coon diseases
Maine Coon Diseases
- Feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It is the thickening of the walls of the heart, which reduces the cardiac capacity that can shorten the life of the cat. An 20% of the population suffers from this disease.
- Hip dysplasia. It is a not so common disorder and in most cases it is hereditary. It causes the abnormal development of the cat that can lead to the degeneration of one or both joints of the hip.
- Pectus Excavatum. It is a hereditary disease, which can be seen immediately after the birth of the kitten. It is a deformation of the chest, characterized by sinking of the sternum, which causes compression of the heart and lungs. This disorder can be treated by surgery which is greatly benefit the health of the pussycat.
- Gen Rex. This defective gene is more a rare problem than an illness, it makes the appearance of the Maine Coon change, having its fur completely curled.
The prevention of diseases and the preservation of the health of the Maine Coon begins with a good diet. Have the vaccines up to date and the assistance to consultations with the veterinarian on a regular basis. Give timely treatment and prevent the diseases of the kitten.
When does Maine Coon reach sexual maturity?
Curiosities of the Maine Coon Cat
This feline of enormous size, his behavior, his loyalty, and his love of this cat is gaining many followers throughout the world.
- Maine Coon is one of the most recognized breeds in the world of cats. However, these animals tend to grow slowly, they take between 3 to 5 years to develop completely.
- One theory indicates that this species is the result of crossing wild cats and raccoons. Another theory says that he was sent to the United States by Queen Marie Antoinette, who planned to flee after the French Revolution. One last theory, indicates that they were originated from the mixture of domestic cats short and long hair. They were taken to America on ships from New England or by Vikings who carried cats to control the rats in their ships.
- A story about this magnificent cat, tells that his ancestors belonged to the British captain Charles Coons, who sailed in New England waters in the early nineteenth century. These cats were known as the Coon Cats.
- The Maine Coons are characteristic for their sociable personality and their taste to interact with other animals and humans, especially with children. Something curious about this breed, is that they love to play pick up thrown objects and walk with a collar like dogs.
- This breed, thanks to its size, charm and talents became famous. One of these cats was the winner of the first American Cat Show, a pet beauty contest held in New York.
- The Maine Coons communicate through trills and chirps instead of meows. The sounds are a mixture between a meow and purr, a trill is a vocalization that often expresses happiness.
How much does a Maine Coon Cat cost?
In the matter of buying a Maine Coon and its adoption as a pet, it is better to think twice. The average price of a cat maine coon pup is around a thousand US dollars in the United States and in Europe between 800 and 1500 euros. Although it is possible to find animals for adoption, but the cost still, it can cost at least 115 dollars.